06 September, 2009

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Late this afternoon I'd handwashed some bits and pieces I'd knitted up and then put them in the washing machine to spin. Bugger - washing machine refuses to start. Okay, I'll phone for repairs tomorrow but in the meantime I have this wet wool that I really need to give a spin to ............

Then my moment of genius - The Salad Spinner!

Worked a treat and got a great laugh from my Sister when I phoned her for her birthday.






(Happy Birthday, dear Liz. I raise my glass of Cider to you.)

12 comments:

Pilgrim said...

I can imagine that! :-D But if it was wool or silk, Ilearned to wrap woolen sweaters into bathing towels and silk shirts go on a hanger to dry. Propz Pilgrim, the houseman...or the man in the house? :-)

Mickle in NZ said...

Hi Pilgrim - These are various squares and rectangles I'd knitted up from wool scraps I inherited from both my Grandmothers. My washing machine has a very effective wool cycle - when the damn machine will start!

You know how to look after delicate fabrics and garments? - what a catch!

care and huggles,Mickle and Zebbycat, xxx

Sandi McBride said...

Now who knew that my salad spinner could have a multi function cycle? Why, Michele of course! You're more than a pretty face, my girl!
Sandi

Pilgrim said...

Michelle, thx for the flowers, but instead you rather comment me, will you? :-)

Mickle in NZ said...

Pilgrim - been there, done that. So how about sending a birthday greeting to Liz via this site. My darling Sister has been based in the Uk for 23 years - and, oh - she understands French!

Danny said...

Hi Michelle,

Looking forward to your next book "101 uses for a salad spinner that will astound you!". We love ours too but that is a whole new dimension. Next time you wash Zebbycat . . . :-)

Liz's birthday coincided with the ceremonial digging of the first spuds. We thought of you because you always hinted and prompted for a SPU (spud progress update).

Love to you and all,
Danny

Karelian Blonde said...

Pure genius! Glad you got your wool spinned :)

Marjie said...

That is a genius idea, and it made me laugh, too!

Marjie said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Liz!

Pip said...

Ha ha, that's funny, I don't think my version of a salad spinner would do that (I put the leaves in a big tea towel and then take them outside and whirl it around) but your idea could be the justification for getting a proper salad spinner.

Mitchell Webster said...

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the wonderfully kind words you left on my blog, you are such a nice person.
Tell me did you get the washer fixed? In your email to me you said he was coming, I hope you did, being without is not a good thing.
You won't believe this, but in my days as a conservative Mennonite, I had a nick name, for some reason friends always called me Mitchell Pickle, now I know another Pickle!!

Your Friend,
Mitchell
http://hbs1991.wordpress.com

Olive said...

What a brilliant idea ! You are a genius